Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hope fades?

Remember me telling you that given a one-film budget, I would watch Hope Springs? Well, i just found out that it's not in the cinemas anymore! Not even SM or Ayala Cinemas. I'm planning to watch it this weekend since that's my only free time this past weeks. But now, while waiting for the DVD copy, I'm forced with The Campaign or Expendables.

It's really sad. I mean Meryl Streep averages like one film per year and it's really a mission to definitely see this one also in cinema. (As I mentioned in my previous blog, I really am sold to films with best actors and actresses. You don't need to sell me the best visual effects or the beautiful faces/body, just the story and the actors in it.)



My theory, and this I have observed, is Hope Springs did not sell as it should be. Like StepUp 3 (and even our own flop, cheesy films), which some of its cinema slots was pulled out days after its grand opening, Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones (even with Steve Carell) didn't appeal to the Filipino public.

It's natural that Filipinos would want a film they would enjoy for their hard-earned money. It's just sad that this changes our general taste for films. Even with a cliche, so-so story and unable actors, basta there's kilig or fad it banks on, people watch it.

When was the last time we had a great award-winning film like Himala or Markova that's also available mainstream for people to see? Almost all of the great films are now in the indie film cinemas and only few can watch it. Film, like painting and singing, used to be an arm of art expression and is valued therefore on its relevance and quality. Don't even get me started with our local award-giving film bodies and singing contests.

I'm still hoping for Hope Springs, though. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment