Monday, August 27, 2012

Film: New Year's Eve

Quick lang, Steph. Haha, I just thought that our font size should be smaller. Wow! OC sickness it is! But hey, I looked at it, it's really small naman.

Anyway, haha. I'm a big fan of star-studded films. I mean, films that really feature so many actors like Valentine's Day (which I've already seen) and Love Actually (which I'm dying to see). You don't have to sell me the "sikat" celebrities in a film. With just a few really good actors and a story, I would love to spend my hard-earned money to watch it in cinemas. Just to illustrate, given a one-film budget, I would definitely see Hope Springs than Bourne Legacy or that teen chick-flick GMA had produced. Hey! I want to watch Just One Summer! You're totally biased! Haha.

This may be a super late review but I just watched it. Where was I during the time this film was shown? I don't know. Still, not late to talk about it. You just watched this? So how did you find the film, grandpa? :D



Although it's cliche, the story of intertwined lives affected by a single holiday event (very much like Valentine's Day) still sells for me. Not only did it involve the traditional kissing at midnight (Why can't we have that tradition here?) and unfulfilled love stories, but it also included familial and friendly relationships.

Robert De Niro is a classic. To think that he has nothing to do but lie down and talk sickly, he did a pretty amazing job portraying the role of a dying father who may have achieved everything in life but has earned a few regrets on the way. Add to the ensemble Michelle Pfeiffer who did splendidly the role of Ingrid, a regular employee who wanted to fulfill a list of resolutions.

I'm surprised to see Jon Bon Jovi. I'm a big fan of his music, but not of his acting. Still, it's a relief to see him in a new light. I just met Katherine Heigl in the Ugly Truth but I never thought how beautiful she is until I saw her in this film. Not a stunning performance but she definitely added value in the film. So is Halle Berry. A far cry from Catwoman days and 007 lady era.

Sarah Jessica Parker was the mom she needs to be for the role. I just didn't like the "Sex-and-the-City" ending where she came in very high heeled shoes and glittery dress as Josh Duhamel's partner.

Ryan Seacrest definitely added some star value and comic relief, but then again he's a spectacular host, so no surprise there. 

I can't comment any further! I forgot the film na, it was like ages ago... :D

This was also full of songs (maybe because of the inclusion of Bon Jovi and Lea Michelle). One song I liked is Michelle's version of Auld Lang Syne. Lea and Josh look so cute! I think all the 'love' love in this film was centered on them.

I like the twists and the stories intertwined in this film. From competing expectant mothers to a teenage puppy love even to the depths of understanding the essence of New Year and how it's done in Times Square.
Speaking of which, this made me crave more to see (even live in) New York. Or maybe I'm watching too much Hollywood films and Friends.

To cap it off, I have one word. Hope. New York, or even the US, is living in a very fast-paced life that sometimes, people forget to stop and reflect. And as the ball drops, a new year starts with a must of a new hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment