Monday, February 17, 2014

Film: Gravity

I did not like to add this to my Oscars list to watch before the awards because, well, it appeals to me as too commercial and has a thin storyline - an astronaut floats and struggles to get back to Earth. I actually got surprised when it got nods from the Academy and Golden Globe, more so when it won. When it recently won in BAFTA major awards, I decided to give it a shot.

After I watched it, my assumptions were pretty much correct. It has a simple storyline, small cast and forced screenplay, making it not an epic material. Yet, I see why it's receiving nods from the award-giving bodies. The execution made it outstanding.

I particularly liked the cinematography. Those long standing, continuous shots are fabulous. It was consistent and I imagine, it was hard to produce. Though, this may seem boring to other movie goers, these shots made me feel closer to the situation.

I'm actually not a fan of Alfonso Cuaron. I only watched Y Tu Mama Tambien and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and they were not outstanding directing-wise. I guess this would be his first piece of achievement in directing. The direction made the film worthwhile.

Acting-wise, laudable was Sandra Bullock who played a first-timer in space Dr. Ryan Stone who struggled to return safely to Earth after orbiting space debris from Russian satellites hit their location. She was good but not outstanding to win awards. It's the common excellent Sandra Bullock acting. But it's noteworthy that she's been in the film for 100% of it and the difficulty in acting she endured on a simulated zero gravity environment.

The music editing was ok. The shifts to vacuum space sound are abrupt, adding to the edginess of the film. The scoring however was ordinary. The script was forced to have a deep dramatic effect and most of the lines are cliche. Thanks to directing, the suspense was kept.

There are some inconsistencies with respect to scientific facts and astronaut protocols. Nevertheless, it's moot since the film is not a documentary.

If you're into space, this could be something for you but it's not worth so much of your time and dime.

Forecast: It may give Alfonso Cuaron his Oscars but other than that, there's a slim chance for other aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment