Thursday, February 20, 2014

Film: Frozen

I rarely watch animated films. I have to make sure, if it's animated, it will serve me its best purpose: to entertain the child in me. While the child in me is also critical when it comes to filmmaking, I give it a shot to watch animated films with a pure childish heart. I haven't failed so far with my selection of animated films; well, most of them are Oscar winner or nominee. I've enjoyed Hayao Miyazaki's films, especially Spirited Away. Disney-Pixar, no matter what everyone - including myself - says about the company, still makes the best animated films. Not always, though.

So when Frozen came, I had doubts watching it. I did not enjoy Tangled and Brave that much and I think this might be of the same line. Yet, there had been a big hoopla on the film's original song, Let It Go, so as the other songs. The film has also won in Golden Globe, BAFTA and Critics' Choice, so as the song. The film and the song got nods from the Academy.

So I watched it and thank God I did. Disney did not fail me. Noticeable is the great screenplay by Jennifer Lee. Although it's animated, and usually for kids, the script was not forced. The lines were fresh and not cliche. The storyline is not your usual fairy tales. I love that the film's romantic angle is just right and the film has centered on sisterhood love. Nothing was out of place and the plot was very fluid. While watching though, I thought Olaf the snowman was just a deus ex machina and was not really necessary. Yet, the snowman was made value-adding to the script. Even some of the witty antics was from him. Though, Disney has resorted back to its recipe of lead love team (or couple of persons) with a team of talking or moving animals or creatures.

The characters were really given a big thought. It's hard to create a story for two strong heroines and with almost no villain. Yet the film made sense. Anna and Elsa are two different princesses. I like the fact that the girl characters are not made to be your usual fairy-tale princesses. It was enjoyable as a child and as a moviegoer.

For me, the most outstanding part of the film were the songs composed by husband-and-wife songwriting team Robert and Kristen Lopez. My favorite are the arrangements of "First Time in Forever". I particularly love the counterpoint parts. Of course, among the voice actors, laudable are Idina Menzel (Elsa) and Kristen Bell (Anna). All the songs are actually great and fresh. The better version of Let It Go (as opposed to the one in the closing credits) sung by Menzel in the film has been garnering awards from different award-giving bodies. I think, being the only song closer to pop rather than broadway, the song was composed to have a signature song. Nonetheless, it's terrific. And it's trending because it sings of a feeling few composers would write about: loneliness - a feeling most people now can relate to.

I loved the ending. It really warmed my heart. For a film titled "Frozen", warmth can be felt through the story. I say it's worth your time and dime.

Forecast: It will win Oscars for the Original Song and maybe for the Animated Feature. Remember, Skyfall by Adele won over Suddenly by Claude-Michel Schonberg because Adele was new and Skyfall was in the billboard already.

No comments:

Post a Comment