Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Supreme succession and Sweetness saga

Two news pieces have caught my attention these past few days.

Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Ratzinger) has shocked the Catholic church by his decision to resign. Many rumors have circled around and of course, I have my favorites.

But first, the resignation. It's been centuries since the last resignation in the papacy has happened. Many are now wondering how relevant is this resignation in the modern times. Resignations as Supreme Pontiff are usually due to scandals where the pope is involved; sexual assaults, funds, hidden facts to name a few. But with PBXVI's resignation, no scandal has been declared, or at least outside the Vatican. If I may borrow Adele's song, rumor has it that a church official inside the Vatican who's very close to the pope had been leaking the secrets of the City of God. So to save the church from further leakage, the pope decided to leave the post.

Another one talks about power play in the College of Cardinals and someone plots somebody to be the pope. But with the secrecy of the conclave, this is actually quite funny. 

The only reason we have is illness - something severe that rendered him impossible to continue the task of papacy. But I saw him deliver his last mass, his last address, he was even able to give out a motu proprio to expedite the conclave; I'd say he looks like he still has a sound mind to perform the duties of being a pope. There's a running joke that papacy is a job to heaven because as a pope, you either leave the post when you die or you die. Resignation was not a choice unless the premise is scandalous.

I'm not saying that he can't resign or he's just feigning an illness. I think, what I'm trying to say is, I believe, as long as you have a sound mind, the Catholic Church needs you to lead them.

My friend asked me, "Is the Pope still relevant?" The obvious answer is yes but the logical answer is no. With the resignation, people may look again at the church as just an edifice led by one single elected cardinal. Where is the divine intervention? Yes, popes get replaced and it should be expected. But wouldn't the Catholic faith be stronger if the pope didn't resign? Popes, through divine intervention and majority of the college, is tasked to restore Catholic faith - the same faith teaching us to just trust God's plans.

Yes, the pope is relevant. To the Catholic church. To those who believe. But faith is not constant and doesn't manifest itself. How can the faith come across to those who now thinks papacy is presidency based in Vatican City?

And what does this lead to? Papabiles have been campaigned by their own locals. Candidate assessments and background checks. The most secretive election saw its primer before they locked the doors.

On a lighter note, I heard someone took note that PBXVI is from Germany, the same country where Adolf Hitler, who had a thing for Jews and wants them eliminated, led and fought the most devastating war in history, the same country almost everyone hated. Just like America having its first black president - from a race not even allowed to vote decades ago. Ironic? I'd say world overhaul.

I found this picture of the three popes. It's as if this was destined to be.

Still, habemus papam! Pope Francis!

On a sweeter topic, Candy Crush has long been bothering me. I saw my friends play this with their iPads and I thought it was just another Bejweled game - you know, matching same colors and eliminating the board. I tried it once, for fun, and man, I got hooked. I see everyone in Facebook playing the game (some even had the nerve to ask for lives) and people who have mobile phones/tablets hooked on their devices. And I became one of them.

How Candy Crush differs is this: first, it has move limits that make you want to throw your device if you haven't done the task with few moves remaining. It also has different tasks per level like clear jellies or bring down the fruits (which I'm currently frustrated at). It's cute and I believe in Facebook, there's a competitive leaderboard that makes you competitive with your friends as ever.

Maybe it will be just like any game that shot through fame then got forgotten. But at least, we tasted the sweetness of this game in our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment